There are a large number of properties across England which are let to tenants. A standard home insurance policy will not be valid if the property is being rented out, even if you’re renting to family members. Just as home contents insurance is an important product for tenants, landlord’s insurance is important for landlords. Protecting the property from potentially damaging occurrences is a major priority, which is why Ashburnham provide flexible, comprehensive landlord insurance in England for freehold and leasehold buy-to-let properties.

Landlord insurance is a high priority. There are many incidents that could occur that would result in needing to make a claim. Having the correct cover is of utmost importance in being financially secure.

Get a great deal on landlord insurance with Ashburnham
  • Easy to complete online quote form
  • Compare policies from trusted UK insurers
  • Immediate cover and documents supplied
  • Commercial & residential insurance available

What Does Landlord Insurance Cover?

Landlord’s Insurance in England tends to come in varying packages as the risk to a landlord is calculated on a number of things. Our landlord insurance packages can be tailored to your needs and give you the precise risk coverage required without paying for cover you don’t need.

The most popular type of buy to let insurance for landlords is buildings cover, which protects a landlord’s most important asset, ­the property. Although this type of cover is essential, property owners in Britain should invest in additional protection to secure themselves from the chance of financial risks occurring.

For your landlord insurance to be valid you’ll need to have a tenancy agreement in place and you’ll need to seek approval from your mortgage lender.

Types of Cover Ashburnham Offer Landlords in England

The type of cover you need may vary. You can build your own landlord insurance policy choosing from covers such as buildings and contents insurance, loss of rent, public liability insurance and more. These are the most popular types of landlord insurance cover.

brick built houseBuildings – covers the financial cost of repairing a property’s structural damage, typically caused by the environment (flooding, storms, etc.), malicious incidents, and unforeseeable accidents (e.g. a burst water pipe).
More about landlord buildings insurance >>
red wine carpet accidentContents – protects landlords from the costs of repairing and replacing furnishings that have been stolen or accidentally damaged by tenants (recommended for proprietors letting furnished properties).
More about landlord contents insurance >>
ambulance for injuryPublic liability – indemnifies property owners against liability if an incident occurs that harms or injures someone on their premises, including cover from the financial costs of any claims made due to negligence.
More about landlord public liability insurance >>
rent paymentLoss of rent – guarantees monthly rent payments for a maximum of 6 months in the event that a tenant fails to make payment and owes in arrears (e.g. a resident has lost their job and can’t temporarily afford to pay rent).
More about loss of rent insurance >>
broken glassMalicious damage – covers the damage caused on purpose by a tenant or other malicious person to the landlord’s property.
More about landlord malicious damage cover >>
gavelLegal expenses – indemnifies the expenses in pursuit or defense of any disputes connected to a landlord’s property that require legal protection.
More about legal expenses insurance >>
More than one property? Head over to our Landlord Portfolio Insurance page.

Types of Tenants Landlord Insurance Covers

When you are buying landlord insurance in England, the landlord must declare the type of occupants that they are letting the property out to. Tenant type is just one of the factors which insurance providers consider before deciding upon a price for cover. Each type of tenant carries its own unique risks which are assessed by the insurance company.

Find out more about the tenant types that Ashburnham cover:

Types of Occupancy Arrangements for Buy To Let Properties

There are also various occupancy and lease agreement arrangements that may exist. The most common scenarios are as follows:

  • Standard Let – the property is let to one tenant or family
  • HMOs (House in Multiple Occupation) – two or more tenants/families in the same property
  • Residential Let – the property is used for residential purposes
  • Commercial Let – the property is let to a business such as a shop or office
  • Mixed Use – for example, the property may be a commercial shop downstairs with a residential flat upstairs
  • Resident Landlord – the landlord lives at the property and rents part of it to tenants
  • Bedsits – a house with multiple self-contained bedrooms and shared facilities
  • Empty Property – an unoccupied property with the intention to let to tenants

Ashburnham Insurance accepts cover for all types of freehold, leasehold and tenancy arrangements in England. Even if it’s not listed above, a policy can normally be tailored to your specific demands and needs.

Is Landlord Insurance Compulsory in England?

Landlord insurance is optional in England, however, it is highly recommended that you consider purchasing landlord insurance if you are renting out a property, just in case something happens that might incur a large financial cost.

Landlord insurance covers risks specific to renting, for example, public liability cover can protect you against liability if an incident occurs that harms or injures someone on their premises, including cover from the financial costs of any claims made due to negligence. A comprehensive landlord’s insurance policy will cover the whole range of risks associated with your rental property and tenant type.

Simply choose the level of cover you require, using our online policy form, and Ashburnham will instantly compare quotes from a panel of trusted insurers to provide you with the best value for money on your landlord insurance in England.

What Locations in England Are Covered?

Ashburnham provides buy to let insurance for rented properties across England including London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield, Newcastle, Bristol, and our very own Southend-on-Sea. Cover is not currently available to oversea owners such as British expats and non-resident landlords living abroad. The dwelling that is being insured must bear a UK format postcode.

Get A Quote