Get a great deal on resident landlord insurance with Ashburnham

  • Quick and simple online policy form
  • Quotes compared from trusted UK insurers
  • Instant policy documents supplied
  • We can insure owner occupied rental properties

Ashburnham provide live-in landlord insurance for resident landlords, letting single rooms or entire self-contained flats whilst occupying the property yourself. Flexible, comprehensive, and cheap resident landlord insurance can be hard to come by, but with Ashburnham, you can choose the level of cover you require using our online policy form. Just make sure that under Occupancy Details, you select “Owner Occupied”.

What does Live In Landlord Insurance cover?

Owner-occupied tenancy arrangements come in all shapes and sizes. If in doubt about your particular situation, call us for free and speak to one of our specialist experts who can discuss your insurance requirements with you, and provide you with the most affordable quotations.

Not only will a good resident landlord insurance policy cover the building, but it will also protect you against other financial risks associated with letting.

Buildings Insurance


Covers the financial cost of repairing a property’s structural damage. We cover both accidental and malicious damage as standard, in addition to environmental damage (e.g. flooding, storms, etc).

More about landlord buildings insurance

Contents Insurance


Recommended for furnished properties, this will protect the landlord from the costs of repairing and replacing furnishing that have been stolen or accidentally damaged by tenants.

More about landlord contents insurance

Malicious Damage Cover

Malicious Damage

Covers the intentional damage caused by the tenant or any other malicious persons to the landlord’s property.

More about malicious damage by tenant cover

Loss of Rent Insurance

Rent Guarantee

Covers loss of rent by guaranteeing monthly rent payments for a maximum of 6 months in the event that a tenant is in arrears and temporarily unable to pay due to their financial circumstance.

More about loss of rent insurance

Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability

Indemnifies the property owner against liability if a tenant, guest or member of the public is injured on the premises, including cover from the financial costs of any claims made due to negligence.

More about landlord public liability insurance

Legal Expenses Insurance

Legal Expenses

Indemnifies the expenses in pursuit or defense of any disputes connected to a landlord’s property that require legal protection.

More about legal expenses insurance

More than one property?

Head over to our Landlord Portfolio Insurance page.

What is a live-in landlord / resident landlord?

A live-in landlord or resident landlord is someone who lets part of their main home to a tenant (otherwise known as a non-excluded occupier). The tenant will have their own entrance and facilities in a self-contained area of the landlord’s property. This may be a summer house at the end of a garden, a basement level to the property, a bedsit room, or a purpose built flat in a house. What’s important is that the tenant has sole access to the area in which they are renting, with a lock on their door, and a legal tenancy agreement in place. This is significantly different to a lodger renting a spare room in your property, who will have a licence rather than a tenancy and no right to a lock on their door.

You may share the front door and hallway, but both you and your tenant should have separate entrances once inside to your own homes.

If you let part of your property to a tenant, even if you occupy the same property, you may find that this invalidates your home insurance as home policies typically don’t cover any rental activity. Make sure that you know exactly what your policy covers.

Even when you do find an insurer that will cover you, some insurers may even charge you double if the rental property is owner-occupied depending on circumstances!

As an independent high street broker, we are able to discuss with you your particular requirements to find the most affordable live in landlord insurance policy for you.

Get A Quote