Cake Maker Baker

Whether you’re just starting up in the cake making business and only have a few clients, or you’re well underway with your small business, producing, decorating and selling cakes to a higher number of clients or even at stalls and fairs, having the right insurance coverage may very well be on your mind. From wondering whether you need a policy at all, to deciding on which is the best for you and your business, here at Ashburnham Insurance we are happy to help. We’ve put together a guide to help you understand why Public Liability Insurance is important in your industry, and how to get the best out of your policy.

Why Would I Need Insurance as a Cake Maker?

As a baker, specifically a cake maker and decorator, having public liability insurance is vital to ensuring that you and your business, as well as your clients, are protected. Your clients and customers get the joy of enjoying your food, and you should be able to bake and decorate with enjoyment and joy too, and a public liability insurance policy will provide peace of mind to do exactly that.

Accidental injury isn’t always avoidable, and accidents do happen from time to time, no matter how much care we take. A dodgy batch of icing or cake mix could cause food poisoning, or a foreign object could make its way into the mix without your knowledge – there are always chances that things could go wrong and you may be held liable for any injury or illness caused in these cases. You could even be held liable for professional negligence by missing a dietary requirement for a guest, being held accountable for any financial loss of the hosts. 

For these reasons, insurance is advisable for all cake makers and decorators. It can provide financial support in the case of a claim, including legal fees and any compensation you may need to payout. Weddings and events are high-stress dates and for some hosts, this can mean a lower tolerance than at any other time. Having financial protection can help support your business against any third-party claim, big or small. 

Is Cake Makers And Decorators Insurance A Legal Requirement?

Public liability insurance is not a legal requirement for running a business, however, it is becoming a staple in the industry. Not only does it make sense for protecting your business, but many fairs, shows and venues may only accept your business if you have a full insurance policy. Your local council may also require you to have an insurance policy if you plan to sell your goods at any event.

What Would An Insurance Policy Cover?

A public insurance liability policy for your business would cover a number of eventualities, though this can be discussed in greater detail during the quote process if you choose. Typically speaking, most cake makers and decorators policies will cover the following: 

  • Bodily Injury – Any bodily injury that has occurred to the client or other members of the public as a result of your goods or services.
  • Illness- Any illness that has occurred in your client or other members of the public as a result of your goods or services.
  • 3rd Party Property Damage – Any damage occurred to third party property as a result of your goods or services.
  • Defence Costs – Any legal defence costs required in the case of a claim.
  • Professional Negligence Or Errors/Omissions – Any claims made against you in regards to negligence or any errors or omissions that may have resulted in a loss of finance for the third party.

How Much Would My Insurance Cost?

The cost of your insurance policy will differ depending on the level of cover you require and your business history, however, we are able to provide you with a free, no-obligation and entirely bespoke quote for your policy. You can either apply for this quote online and compare different quotes from leading insurers right here online, or you can give us a call and we will walk you through the process and answer any questions you may have along the way. You can buy your policy immediately if you choose to, and immediate proof of coverage will be available once the policy has been approved and paid for.

How Long Will It Take To Get Insured?

As mentioned above, you will get immediate proof of cover following the purchase of a policy, which means you could be insured in minutes following a quote! We pride ourselves on our quick but thorough service, providing you with the information you need, as well as a range of different quotes from leading and trusted insurers, giving you peace of mind that you’re getting the best deals. Each of the insurers we work with provides a top-class service and are fully approved by not only us but the FCA too. 

For more information regarding public liability insurance for cake making and decorating, or to find out more about how it all works or get a quote, get in touch with a member of the team at Ashburnham Insurance on FREEPHONE 0800 1696137.

Ask Us A Question