Power Cut

When purchasing home insurance, you want peace of mind that your most valuable items are protected. So if a power cut has recently damaged something inside your home, you might be wondering if your home insurance covers that damage. 

A power cut can occur for many different reasons and they usually happen without any warning. This means that the consequences of power outages are a common claim for insurance companies, but the coverage depends on your policy.

If your home insurance policy includes cover for electrical damage then you will be covered for any damage that occurs due to a problem with the electricity in your home. Damage caused by lightning is also usually considered to be electrical damage, which may be relevant, particularly if it caused the power cut. 

Many homes in the UK rely on freezers to stock up on food, which can be costly to replace. Electrical damage to the contents of your home, caused by something like a voltage surge, can also be covered. Some policies also provide temporary replacement equipment until yours can be repaired or replaced. If the freezer has stopped working because of a power cut or power surge, you should be able to make a claim. 

Electrical equipment over 10 years old is not usually covered for electrical damage and things like oven or fridge light bulbs, or other aesthetics, also tend to not be covered, unless their breaking has affected the normal functioning of the equipment.

You can help to protect your personal electrical equipment by using surge protectors, which can be purchased from most electrical and DIY shops. If you’re home during a power cut unplugging them from the socket will also help protect your equipment.

If the damage to your home is caused because of a fire due to a power cut or electrical surge then there are also specific coverages for fire. Some home insurance policies will also have you covered for up to a certain amount if your property can’t be lived in as a result of damage to the building caused by a fire.

In the event of a power cut your home contents insurance should cover up to a certain amount, usually around £500, for any food that spoils as a result of the power failure. If you do have spoiled food due to a power cut, consider if it is worth filing an insurance claim as your claim history affects your insurance premiums, and making even a small claim could see a rise in rates when you renew your policy. 

You will also have to pay an excess if you make a claim, meaning the amount that you receive will be reduced by the amount of the excess. If you decide that it is worth making a claim, then make sure that you fully document the loss before disposing of any spoiled food. Insurers will usually ask you to give a list of what food has spoiled and to provide photographs of the spoiled food.

You may also be able to claim compensation for a power cut, but it depends on how long the power cut was for, whether it was a planned power outage and if you were informed in time. Depending on your situation, you might also be able to get some extra help from your energy supplier if there’s a power cut.

In order to remain financially protected during a power cut, you need to make sure that you have all of the above scenarios covered within your home insurance policy. It is possible to buy both home buildings and home contents insurance from different providers, but it often works out to be more cost-effective if you purchase your home insurance as a combined package under a single policy.

For more advice on your home insurance policy or if you would like home buildings and/or home contents quotation then please contact Ashburnham Insurance on FREEPHONE 0800 1696137 and one of our helpful staff members will be able to give you an instant quote.

Ask Us A Question