Holiday Let Covered

If you have a second property available as a holiday home or are looking to let out an annexe or room to guests, having the right level of cover can ensure that you, your family and your property are protected. While we all hope for nice, tidy guests, the unfortunate reality is that from time to time, holiday lets will see all kinds of guests that may cause damage or disruption to the property – this is where holiday home insurance policies come in.

Is Holiday Home Insurance Different from Home Insurance?

Holiday Home Insurance is essentially another form of home insurance, but one that will cover you for any guests staying in your properties for short periods of time. This is different from landlord insurance, as there isn’t a tenancy in technical terms. Flexible holiday home insurance policies, in particular, can cover you, your family, your friends and any other guests that may stay in the home, as well as periods where the property may be empty.

If your holiday home is for your use only and is kept mostly unoccupied throughout the year, unoccupied property insurance policies could be a better fit, however, it’s important to make sure you understand and check the terms and conditions of the policy to ensure that you remain covered regardless.

Do I Need Holiday Home Insurance to Let Out to Guests?

Holiday home insurance is not compulsory in order to let out to guests, however, it’s a no-brainer for protecting your property and assets. Depending on the nature of your letting, you may have different guests in on and off throughout a week or a month and so holiday home insurance can ensure that you are covered for damage, theft and injury to third parties. Standard home insurance won’t cover you for damage or injury from or to third parties, so if you’re planning to rent out rooms or the property, you need to ensure you have the right cover in place for yours, and their peace of mind.

These policies also cover you for theft during periods where people aren’t staying in the home, where a home insurance policy may not. Generally, home insurance won’t count as valid if the property is left unoccupied for long periods of time, as it makes the risk of damage, wear and tear and theft much higher.

Most holiday home insurance policies work in similar ways to home insurance policies, however, in that they split into both buildings, and contents insurance cover, so you need to be sure that you’re opting for the right choice for your holiday home.

Holiday Home Insurance can be confusing. Holiday homes in the UK can vary greatly so you might be wondering exactly what type of insurance cover you need. At Ashburnham Insurance we understand the risks involved with holiday homes. 

Holiday home insurance covers you for any rental activity, as well as provide you with second home insurance in between periods of paying guests or while you are staying there yourself. We can continue this cover for the gaps in between rental periods, such as when the property is empty between occupants or vacant during the winter months.

For more information or to get a quote for holiday home insurance for your second property or holiday let, feel free to get in touch with a member of our team, today.

2 Responses to Holiday Home Insurance – Is Your Holiday Let Covered?
  1. Do you cover war/ terrorism?


Ask Us A Question