Arable Land

When it comes to owning land, the nature of its use can determine whether you need insurance and what insurance you should opt for. For those with Arable land, the answer is thankfully simple – insurance is recommended due to the increased risks presented by the work on the land, and the insurance products available to you can be tailored to you and your land. 

If you’re new to Arable land or the insurance that you might need for it, our team here at Ashburnham Insurance have put together this handy guide to help you get started. From what arable land actually is, to the risks of owning it and why that makes insurance necessary, here’s what you need to know.

What Is Arable Land?

Arable land refers to any land that is suitable for ploughing or use for crops. This can include land used for temporary crops, pastures, meadows and other farm-related land. For this reason, arable land is often referred to as agricultural land or farmland and the insurance associated with the land can fall under any of these but be relevant to all three.

 It is land that can be used to grow crops either by yourself or by a farmer that the land is rented to and as a result, the risks associated with owning and using the land can be vast. From accidents with machinery or tools to public injury while on your property, there are a number of risks that you should consider when it comes to ensuring that you are protected.

What Are The Risks Of Owning Agriculture Land?

When it comes to owning agriculture and farmland, the risks can be numerous. With the possibility of machinery nearby at all times, tools being used and even livestock around, the chance of injury, damage and more is often too great to risk going without the right cover. Some of the most common risks and accidents can include, but are not limited to:

  • Trips and Falls – If a third party enters your property and falls, slips or trips, this could lead to claims against you for injury. A third party could fall down a ploughed ditch, they could trip over a tool left out on the land or slip on a muddy area and hurt themselves as a result. 
  • Machinery Accidents – Whether a third party or someone working on the land, accidents with heavy farming machinery are an unfortunate and often scary part of the job. Proper care and training should always be taken, but with some of the machinery used, ensuring you are protected in the event of an accident is crucial. 
  • Property Damage – Whether your land is damaged by a third party, or you cause damage to the crops or tools being used by a farmer renting out your land, the costs of repairing or replacing the damaged goods can be vast. 
  • Livestock Accidents – If you or the renting farmer has livestock, you will need to consider the risks associated with this. Livestock can both cause injury and become injured easily, so the right cover is crucial for ensuring that you are protected in the case of a claim. Adequate security on your land can also help prevent any potential damage or harm to the livestock. 

Why Do I Need Insurance For My Farmland?

Farm or Arable Land insurance can often be customised to suit your needs down to the finest detail. Depending on the nature of the work taking place on your land, you may need more or less cover depending on the risks at hand. A fully working farm with crops, livestock and machinery will typically need a higher level of cover than land simply used for growing wheat or maize every year. Insurance, however, is important regardless of the level that you need. 

Public Liability Insurance on Arable Land, for example, can protect you against any accidents, injuries, illness or even property damage that may take place on your land. If a third party were to become injured or their property damaged as a result of your land, a claim may be made against you which can be costly to handle. The right insurance will ensure that you have the financial support you need to prevent having to pay out of pocket. It will cover compensatory costs and legal fees as needed. 

Some insurance will also cover you for damage to your own property and goods, including machinery, the land itself, tools and any livestock or goods such as crops. The level of cover you can get or will need depends on the property you own. Our team are on hand to help you through the process. We use our expertise and access to a wide catalogue of policies to help you find the right cover and premiums to suit you and your needs. 

For more information or to get started with the quote process, simply get in touch with Ashburnham Insurance on 0800 1696137.

Ask Us A Question