Pasture Insurance Blog

If you own land in the UK, particularly land such as fields and pastures, having the right insurance to cover you in all situations, however unexpected, is a must. Whether it’s through approved public access, or trespassers on your land, an injury that occurs on and as a result of your land could be costly if you aren’t covered by the right public liability insurance, regardless of what your land is being used for. Undeveloped pasture insurance could be the cover you need. Protecting you and your property against claims for injury or third-part damage while on the land will ensure that you are protected in circumstances you may not be able to control. Here, we’ve put together a quick guide to help you get started.

What Is Undeveloped Pasture Insurance?

Undeveloped Pasture Insurance, also known as grazing land insurance, is a form of land insurance designed to specifically cover fields suitable for the grazing of livestock. However, it’s worth noting that you don’t need to have livestock on the field to be protected by this kind of insurance. Similarly, provided that the land has not previously been developed, the nature of the field won’t affect your eligibility – the field may feature grass, plants, herbage, bushes and a host of other vegetation surrounding or within the field. 

Undeveloped Pasture Insurance will protect you in the case of a claim made by a party injured on your property. It may also cover for any third-party property damage that occurs, including accidents such as branches falling from trees onto vehicles. Whether the visits by the claimant were authorised, or a case of trespassing, your policy will protect you and your land financially in this case a claim is made.

Will Land Insurance Provide The Same Protection?

Undeveloped Pasture Insurance is a type of insurance cover that comes under the umbrella of Land Insurance. Land insurance as a whole can cover a host of different land types, including brownfield, car parks, arable land, moorland, rough country, woodland, private roads and resident land, development sites and, of course, fields and undeveloped pasture. However, when you apply for a general Land insurance policy, you will be asked to specify the type of land you own. For this reason, both types of insurance are essentially the same.

What Can I Use The Land For?

The land you own can be used as you wish, but for an Undeveloped Pasture insurance policy to be valid, your land needs to be undeveloped and designed for use as a pasture for cattle and other animals. While you do not need to own or host animals on the property to be covered, the field needs to be suitable for grazing. As a result, this means that you can use the land for animals including cattle, livestock and equine to graze on, or for pleasure purposes such as walks, horse riding and more.

What Risks Do I Face With My Undeveloped Land?

Undeveloped pastures may seem to be a fail-safe type of land to own, but there are still risks associated with owning it. If your property remains open as a public space, Undeveloped Pasture Insurance is a must-have cover to ensure you remain protected in the case of a claim. Some potential claim situations could include:

  • A member of the public slips or trips while on your land
  • A member of the public falls while on your land
  • Third-party damage occurs on or due to parts of your land
  • An unauthorised person is injured while on your land

Each of these risks could result in the injured or affected party making a claim against the owner of the land. Undeveloped fields and grazing pastures can be prone to trip hazards, including dips in the ground, as well as falling branches and other natural debris and so it’s important to ensure that you’re covered not only to protect yourself but to ensure that any claimants will also be protected financially in the unfortunate event of an accident.

How Much Does It Cost?

The cost of your insurance policy will vary depending on the size of your land, however, an annual policy for up to 50 acres of land starts at £145. You can apply for a quote to get a clearer, more personalised and accurate idea of how much your policy may cost, taking into account some of the most competitive rates on the market.

How Do I Apply?

To apply for Undeveloped Pasture Insurance with us here at Ashburnham Insurance, the process is simple. You can start the process by getting a quote, which will give you a clearer idea of how much you’re likely to pay for an annual policy. Following your quote, you can apply directly through our team over the phone on freephone 0800 1696137, or by email at

Ask Us A Question