We take a look at the latest facts and figures on the UK landlord industry in 2015, and why 2015 just might be the Year of the Landlord. There seems to be a unanimous confidence in the health of the buy-to-let landlord industry, as the demand for rental property in the UK experiences has surged over the past year, pushing landlords to invest more in buy-to-let properties. According to Sequence’s head of lettings, “the rental market across the UK is increasingly competitive with demand rising at the same rate at which supply is dropping.”
UK Landlord 2015 Facts and Figures
Did you know that…
- there are an estimated 565,000 buy-to-let landlords in the UK – that’s 1 in 5 all landlords!
- the number of landlord properties purchased has been steadily increasing over the past 5 years, reaching 100,000 landlord properties purchased in 2014.
- The average buy-to-let landlord owns 4 houses and 1.3 flats.
- 43% of buy-to-let landlords plan to increase their rental property portfolio in 2015, with 24% of landlords planning to purchase one further property and 14% planning to purchase at least another two.
- In 2014, the average monthly rent amount in the UK has risen by 3%, from £745 in December 2013 to £767 in December 2014. (In the East of England, the increase has risen by over double that figure at 6%!) This increase is due to the high demand for rental property in the UK, with an average of seven tenants now chasing every new property on the market, as more and more households are now choosing renting over home ownership.
Property price predictions within the next five years
According to research by Platinum Property Partners, 49% of landlords predict that the UK’s property prices will increase by up to 10%.
- 49% predict that property prices will increase by up to 10%
- 28% predict that property prices will increase by 10% or more
- 14% predict that property prices will stay the same
- 5% don’t know what they would predict in regards to property prices
- 4% predict that property prices will decrease by up to 10%
- 1% predict that property prices will decrease by 10% or more
Landlords! Get a great deal on landlord insurance with Ashburnham!